Saturday, February 25, 2012

Cuttlefish attacks octopus

Cuttlefish attacks octopus Tube. Duration : 1.07 Mins.


While working under water an octopus took my spanner. Then we both get a surprise! It was taken by me when I was servicing the Current Meter sonar which is located in 21 metres of water off Port Kembla Harbour, NSW. The reason you can here my voice is that I was wearing a full face mask with hard wired communications to the surface. The camera picked up my reaction. The fuzzy reply is the surface crew replying. I was undoing the bolts on the Current Meter housing for routine servicing, when the octopus crept out of the housing, and demanded to have my spanner. I am sure the cuttlefish must have been biding his time on this octopus. But the octopus could not resist my spanner, it made repeated attempts to steal it as I tried to undo the bolts. This game of taking my spanner went on for several minutes. Eventually I gave up on the bolts and took out my camera, which I had with me to record the condition of the Current Meter. I thought it was interesting so I took some photos. Then I decided to switch the camera to video mode. I was totally unaware of the cuttlefish, which I thought was just a piece of seaweed. I got a big shock when the cuttlefish struck. The shock in my voice is my genuine reaction. Each year from April to June the cuttlefish off Sydney become extremely aggressive. They often follow divers and sometimes attack them. But they love octopus. I had a repeat experience last year in May, when I again had an octopus come out of its lair to try and take a shiny ...

Keywords: Cuttlefish, octopus, diving

No comments:

Post a Comment